You Must Remember This --- What Is The Difference Between a Poem Publication and a Kiss?

What's the difference between a poem publication and a kiss? 

Well, when my sweetheart kisses me, I don't need to announce it far and wide nor do I worry that this is our final kiss. I am reasonably sure there are more kisses to come!

However, when a journal chooses one of my poems for publication and sends a sweet "Acceptance" in the subject line of an email, I am first thrilled beyond words --- and then --- a couple of days later, I think, "this is it, no more love."

So this week, with two different journals accepting two different poems (but no contracts signed just yet) I want to post it here. Poems will be written again, will be sent out into the world and (more than likely) miraculously published again.

There's an ever popular way to submit known as the 100 Rejections Club of which I am not yet a member. Lit Hub has an article about why you should consider it right here.

Instead, I have come together with my dear friend, poet Kelli Agodon and a dozen or so poets from Poets on the Coast to create a Friday Submission Club. On Friday or therabouts, each poet does her best to send one poetry packet out into the world. Once accomplished, we "brag" our submission to the rest of the group thereby reminding everyone "it's time" and offering up where we sent to the rest of the group. In other words, we lift each other up.

A group from Poets on the Coast were well represeted last month at the new on-line Southern California journal Moria headed up by Linda Dove and her Washburn University students.

So what's the difference between a poetry publication and a kiss? Maybe not as much as I thought. Both fill me with joy and delight. Both, I believe, will visit me again.

Comments

Post a Comment